First-to-market, single-chip solution quickly and safely charges 2-series Li-ion battery packs
San Jose, CA—December 12, 2017—Designers now have a simpler, more cost-effective approach to enable fast and safe charging of USB Type-C™ portable devices using 2-series Li-ion battery packs. The highly efficient, highly integrated, 15W MAX14748 USB Type-C charging and charger detection solution from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) is the first such solution on the market. The charger eliminates the patchwork of ICs previously required to deliver the same capabilities, while enabling designers to take advantage of only those USB Type-C functions required for their particular design.
From wireless speakers to high-end cameras, virtual reality (VR) headsets, and even motorized medical devices, there are a variety of applications taking advantage of the simplicity of USB Type-C connectors for charging and transferring multimedia data streams. Two-series battery packs provide these applications with the power they need to operate; however, these products also require ample energy to recharge. Until now, developing USB Type-C products powered by 2-series battery packs has required multiple discrete components, increasing bill of materials (BOM) costs and introducing additional points of failure within the circuit.
The MAX14748 streamlines the architecture by integrating a charger, USB Type-C charger detection, 28V over-voltage protection, and power path onto a single chip. The highly integrated solution, which supports legacy USB BC1.2-compliant and other non-standard chargers, enables USB Type-C charging at twice the power of Micro USB solutions. A programmable Automatic Input Current Limiting (AICL) feature safely draws the maximum current that the charging adapter can supply, protecting valuable end equipment. With the MAX14748, Maxim continues to extend its portfolio of power-related products targeted for unique USB Type-C application needs. Existing products in this category include the MAX77756 24V input, 500mA buck regulator; the MAX17205 stand-alone ModelGauge™ m5 fuel gauge with SHA-256 authentication; and the MAX20323 CC-pin overvoltage protector.
- Reduces power management footprint: Unlike typical charging solutions, the MAX14748 minimizes the need for discrete components by integrating a charger detector, boost/buck converter, and Li-ion battery charger with a smart power selector on a single chip
- Facilitates fast and safe charging: The MAX14748 charges 2-series lithium-ion batteries from legacy 5V USB adapters, while its AICL feature prevents overcharging
- Provides additional protective features: The MAX14748 provides 28V integrated overvoltage protection, JEITA charge protection, and ±15kV electrostatic discharge protection on USB adapter pins
- “The MAX14748 is the market’s first solution that allows designers to capitalize on the many benefits of USB Type-C connectors and 2-series battery packs,” said Sui Shieh, VP of the Industrial & Healthcare Business Unit at Maxim Integrated. “Designers can now take advantage of a simple, cost-effective way to extend fast and safe lithium-ion battery charging to a wider range of battery-powered products.”
Availability and Pricing
- The MAX14748, available in a 54-bump, 0.4mm pitch, 3.97mm x 2.77mm x 0.64mm wafer-level package (WLP), can be found on Maxim’s website and from select authorized distributors for $3.40 (1000-up, FOB USA)
- An evaluation kit, MAX14748EVKIT#, is available for $77.00
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.